Sarajevo Walking Tour Book Now
We introduce you delightful and enjoyable Sarajevo, the heart of city with beautiful and historical artifact in a unique atmosphere. Our trip starts at 9 AM from the Sebil which is the symbol of Sarajevo. We would like to give you information about our main destinations.
Sarajevo Walking Tour Visiting Places
Information about Visiting Places
- Alifakovac is a settled area in old Sarajevo. It is divided in two parts as Great and Small Alifakovac. At the same time one of the old Sarajevo cemeteries is also called Alifakovac. Alifakovac cemetery was started to be used from 15th century. There exist 2 mausoleums in the cemetery.
- Padua Francisian monastery and Saint Antonio church are to be found on the left side of Miljacka river. In 1881-1882 Saint Antonio is constructed in the place of a small chruch. This was modest church with measures 18x9 m. Only foundation stone of this simple building is used for construction of the new church.
- Emperor mosque is constructed in 1457. It is made by Isa Bey as a gift to Fatih Sultan Mehmet Han. It is bulit as a whole including castle Saray by which Sarajevo got its name, dervish lodge, bridge, public bath, mill and many shops. During the reign of Kanuni Sultan Suleyman in 1566 it got todays look by various repairs and make-ups. These structures were reconstructed during the reign of 1. Abdulmecit. Dervish lodge was widened and one library is added. In 1912 parliament is added to these structures.
- This synagogue constructed in 1902 is third biggest synagogue in Europe. It is found on the left side of river Miljacka. It is built in accordance to a project made by Check Karl Parijek.
- The Academy of fine arts is the most beautiful building from Austro-hungarian period.This building is projected by Karlo Parzik and it was made as Evangelical Church in 1898-1899. The main church in the middle part evokes Byzantine style and extensions were built on two sides.
- Skenderija found in the center of the city is serving public from 29th November 1969. It took its name after famous province lord Iskender pasa. On the place of this complex in 1499 Iskender pasha established trade center with 11 shops, caravansaray and dervish lodge.
- It is projected in 1891 by architect Alexander Wittek and is found on eastern side of Bascarsi which is Ottoman structure, it has been started to be built on the coast of river Miljacka which divides city in two parts. But style of the building is changed during the construction. Famous church architect Ciril Metod Ivekovic enriches its style by additions from Andalusian style. It is highly affected by Elhamra from Spain and Memluk from Cairo and this building started serving public in 1896.
- Gallery IPC
- Bursa bazaar with its six domes is one of the most interesting monuments in Bascarsi. Its architecture style is rectangular what gives possibility to have entrances from four different streets and by this it connects these streets. This monument is made in 1551 by order of visier Rustem pasa. Bazaar took its name after city Bursa from which silk was imported to the city.
- Gazi Husrev Bey Mosque, is located in Bascarsi which is the heart of capitol Sarajevo. It is also known as Bey Mosque. This mosque is one of most precious monuments of Ottoman architecture. Gazi Husrev Bey leader of Bosnia region in 1531 ordered construction of this mosque to Mimar Sinan.
- The oldest education center of Bosnia and Herzegovina was built on 8th January 1537. It has continued education for 477 years and has became one of the oldest education centers in the world. The establisher of this madrasah is Gazi Husrev Bey a grandson of Ottoman sultan Beyazit II. Because of its lead covered roof it is called as Lead covered madrasah.
- Morica Inn is one of important monuments found in Bascarsi. It was built in 1551, after fire in 1697 it was reconstructed. Morica Inn is still a property of Gazi Husrev Bey foundation, and inside you can see various caffes and shops selling authentic carpets and other stuff.
- This is another church found in Sarajevo. As there is no certain information about the date of construction some claim it was built in 6th century while others claim it was built in 12th century. During the history this church was damaged by fires and has been reconstructed. Beside architecture of the church it is important to be seen because of icons, hand writings and pictures found inside of the church.
- Jewish Museum
- New Temple Gallery
- Svrzo House is one of most beautiful old Ottoman houses found in Sarajevo. Svrzo House is connected with Sarajevo museum and it is of old type wooden architecture much different from modern houses.
- Gazi Husrev-Beg bazaar has been built in 1541. In total it is 110 meters long and there exist 52 shops.
- On 28th June 1914 at 01:15 o’clock duke Franz Ferdinand was assassinated by Gavrilo Princip. After this event Austro-hungarian Empire started a war against Serbia. The event is considered to be the reason for beginning of I World War. All photos related to the event happened on that day can be seen in this museum.
- This gallery was opened in 1992 and it is located on the ground flour of Book museum and theatre building.
- Walking point
- Walking point
- The cathedral so called St. Jesus was built in 1889. It became a center for Bosnian catholics. It was much damaged during the war 1992-1995.
- Building of the church was supported by Sultan Abdulaziz and it was opened on 1st May 1874. This support was made to show the Europe that Ottoman Empire has respect to every religion.
- The gallery was opened on 11th October in 1946. During the war even the doors of the gallery stayed opened. It presents nearly 6000 works.
- This building earlier used as a department of university, in 1993 became Culture Center of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Sarajevo National Theatre was opened on 17th Novemeber in 1919. Gala opening has happened in November in 1921.
- Walking point
- Chamber Theatre
- Youth Theatre
- Roman Petrovic Gallery
- Sartr Theatre
- Walking point
- Alipasa Mosque: This mosque ordered to be built by lord of Budin Hadim Ali Pasa, reflects classic Istanbul style.
Bosnia Travel Video Gallery